Pages

Monday, August 29, 2005

Monday 8/29 - Huricane Katrina

Monday, 8/29/05

I’ve been watching CNN non-stop due to Hurricane Katrina. Oh my god. I can’t believe what’s happening. I have family who all live in New Orleans. My ex-husband is from there, and I have continued to remain very close to them over the years. In fact, Brian and I have stayed there on many occasions, going to Jazz Fest. The city is such a special place and my family there mean the world to me.

I was finally able to get some word from them that they had all made it out safely, but as the day unfolded and the levy broke, it was just a few blocks from where a lot of their houses were, right near Lake Pontchatrain. I can’t believe it. They’ve lost everything, their jobs, their houses. My ex-mother-in-law and husband were out of town before the Hurricane, so they didn’t have a chance to evacuate anything, including their 2 kitties.

I was able to speak to Leanne and Aunt Kimberly on the phone, and for the first time I understood what people have told me that they just didn’t know what to say to me and now I felt that same way when I spoke to Leanne and Kimberly. My heart just goes out to them and to everyone in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

No comments: