Pages

Friday, January 06, 2006

The miracle of birth

The miracle of birth

On 1/2/06 I was able to watch my step-sister give birth to her beautiful new son, Donovan Joseph Cicero. I was so honored that she let me be a part of her delivery. It was amazing to see how Mother Nature had birthing intended; it sure is a much better experience than I went through.

Whitney’s labor was actually quite quick (this was her 2nd child), and with about 6 pushes little DJ came into the world. Hearing his first cry was something that I never got to hear with my little ones, it brought tears to my eyes. The miracle of birth is just that an absolute miracle.

If you would like to see pictures of the little guy, here is Donovan. It’s amazing to me how “big” he is, at 7 pounds, he likes like a giant to me.


Whitney delivered at CPMC, where Kaitlyn is. It was nice having the whole family there to see both babies. Remember that my due date was 2 days after Whitney’s, so our cousins are the same age (even though Kaitlyn was born 3 months earlier). It was nice going

Kaitlyn update:

She has been taking some of her bottles lately (not the whole feed, which means she still has to be gavaged), but this is good news at least.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Liz - Hope you have your beautiful daughter home soon. I am so so sorry for the loss of her sister. My heart goes out to you. Your little Kaitlyn is a fighter and will always have an angel to watch over her.

Amy said...

My sister gave birth to her second child 9 days after I had my twins. Of course, mine were both still in the NICU, and it amazed my husband that she and my brother-in-law were just able to leave with their "take-home baby" two days after she had him.
He weighed more than the two of mine combined.

I agree it is amazing to watch a "normal" birth. I still grieve that mine was traumatic and scary and not at all what I had envisioned, but of course, I am so very fortunate to have come out of it with my children--I know that.

I hope Kaitlyn continues to increase the amount of food she is able to take from a bottle. She is really beautiful, Liz.

Anonymous said...

Liz, What a honor it was to have you there. And fun to be able to have DJ and Kaitlyn so close to each other. Thank you for your support. DJ can't wait to play with his cousin. All our love to you always, Whitney