Pages

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The vomit report

Well, we were so excited to report yesterday that we had 24 hours with no vomit (well, just a little spit-up, but that really doesn't count), and then today, we've had 4 or 5 episodes of vomit...so who knows.

In general, however, I have to report that Kaitlyn's vomiting has decreased. She's now on a feeding pump 12 hours out of 24 hours a day (8 hours of it at night).

On her 2nd night of the pump, it became unattached, and I "fed the bed" meaning that the pump slowly pumped milk into her bassinet all night and I have no idea for how long. That was the first day that Brian left to go to his grandfather's funeral in Pennsylvania so things were a little crazy.

We were so lucky to have our wonderful friend Rose from the NICU come and stay with me for 2 days while Brian was gone. She was so amazing, and for the first time EVER I was able to sleep the entire night. Kaitlyn stayed in the room with Rose and Rose let me sleep uninterrupted. I felt so comfortable, knowing little Miss Kaitlyn was in great hands and I got to sleep 2 nights.

That's all I have to report for the time being.

Kaitlyn has a lung capacity test tomorrow, that will check to see how her lungs due in a reduced oxygen environment.

I think I need a secretary just to manage Kaitlyn's almost daily doctor visits as well as all the phone calls I am on regarding her care.

On a good note, I think Kaitlyn's development has really made some changes the last 4-5 days or so, Brian even noticed it as soon as he returned. She seems to look at us more and has a bit more control of her hand/arm movements. It's really fun to see her figure things out a bit at a time - and of course, this is especially great news, as so far developmentally, she doesn't seem to be very far behind where she should be. She still isn't smiling (I caught about 3 smiles a few days ago, but then none since)....We are hoping that with vomiting less she'll be more happy!

She's also now only on my breast milk - no longer fortified. So we aren't sure if the reduced vomiting is from: no more NG tube at the back of her throat, no more fortifier or reducing the amount of food that she gets at any one time - or more likely all of the above.

At Katilyn's weight check yesterday, she weighed in at 9 lbs 10 ounces!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz- glad to hear that you got some sleep. We fed the bed a few times when we first started the pump feeds. Anna always slept through it, we wouldn't know until the alarms went off in the middle of the night. Sometimes she did it herself by moving around as she slept.
I hope Miss Kaitlyn adjusts to the pump and the vomit patrol can take a breather! Hang in there. Michelle

Anonymous said...

Rose must be a Saint! What a wonderful person.

:) Jodi